A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Tuesday 5 October 2010

South Downs

Almost a year to the day, I enjoyed a walk on the South Downs in Sussex and made some sketches. I have at last translated one of these sketches into the textile lanscape shown here. I started by meshing some lightweight and sheer fabrics onto some wadding and then outlined areas by couching down black knitting wool. I also used black cotton to free machine quilt other areas for more definition.




The piece called Lamination Blues has had considerably more stitching worked into it. I didn't feel that it was finished, so quilted circles in various matching colours between the spirals and circles. I also hand stitched over more of the laminated areas, and am now happy that it is ready to be backed and bound.
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. I do like the South Downs piece and the paper lamination piece has so much gorgeous texture now. No wonder you are pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the S Downs and your interpretation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the south downs picture. Its got great use of colour, fresh and zingy. Maybe similar to some of Van Gogh coloirs scheme on fields?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!