A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday 28 February 2010

Last Autumn's colour.


Last Autumn was particularly colourful, I thought. I took quite a few photos of the autumn trees, and leaves and decided to try and capture it all in the piece above.I made the background first, by meshing fabrics onto a base material with my needle felting machine. The leaves were then cut out of a selection of fabrics, appliqued onto the background and the vien details free machine embroidered. I then decided that the background needed to be darker, so I free motion machined heavily with some dark greens, blues and purple threads. I finished off by applying some more detail to the leaves with water soluble crayons, and some hand stitching.
Photos that I took last Autumn, and used as inspiration for the above piece.                                                  

6 comments:

  1. Cath, Wonderful colours and the leaves are so realistic. Just beautiful. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap,so did I. The trees were lovely round our way.
    Beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Cath. I too thought, at first, that you had used real leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, it helps having some good reference, I don't think the leaves would have looked so realistic without it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Maggi, I thought they were real leaves too. Amazing Cath, just amazing. YOu reminded me I took lots of photos of leaves last year, then played with them on the computer, I must dig them out and see what I can do with them. I love this and will watch what you do more often. I have been so tied up with other things of late, I haven't been keeping up with my Blog reading at all.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and prefer to reply straight away on the same page, that way it feels more like a friendly chat!