A blog about making art and other things using cloth, paper, paint, colour, stitch, and all sorts of exciting techniques, some of which I'm sure I still have to discover! I hope that the joy all this gives me is visible in what you can see here.

Sunday, 28 February 2010

Last Autumn's colour.


Last Autumn was particularly colourful, I thought. I took quite a few photos of the autumn trees, and leaves and decided to try and capture it all in the piece above.I made the background first, by meshing fabrics onto a base material with my needle felting machine. The leaves were then cut out of a selection of fabrics, appliqued onto the background and the vien details free machine embroidered. I then decided that the background needed to be darker, so I free motion machined heavily with some dark greens, blues and purple threads. I finished off by applying some more detail to the leaves with water soluble crayons, and some hand stitching.
Photos that I took last Autumn, and used as inspiration for the above piece.